Sunday, January 5 2014 7:13 PM EST2014-01-06 00:13:47 GMT
(WMC-TV) – With cold temperatures and the chance of snow for the Mid-South, Action News 5 wants to keep you informed. Meteorologist Ron Childers shows you how to keep track of everything that's goingMore >>
With cold temperatures and the chance of snow for the Mid-South, Action News 5 wants to keep you informed. Meteorologist Ron Childers shows you how to keep track of everything that's going on right in the palm of your hand.More >>
(WMC-TV) - As the temperatures drop, people across the Mid-South prepare for the frigid weather.
"It's frigid with the wind," said Michael Kreiser with Ferrell Paving.
Road construction crews widening the Interstate 40-240 interchange knew how to bundle up Thursday so their work did not stop in extreme temperatures.
"If it's a 100 degrees or it's 10 degrees, we're usually out here," he said.
Michael Kreiser has worked in worse weather, but the Shelby County Health Department knows not everyone has his experience.
"Bundle up, cover all different parts of your body," said Dr. Helen Morrow with the health department.
"When they caught fire my smoke detector went off any my son alerted everybody, and we just got out of the house," he said.
A smoke detector saved lives in this particular case.
Firefighters determined the fire started in the front room because of a space heater, but it was just one of a handful of fires in the last month started by space heaters.
Fires do not just start with space heaters they can start with burning candles, fire places, even electrical cords. Experts say before you go to bed make sure all heaters are at least three feet away from curtains, bedding, or anything that can catch fire.
And never leave a heater unattended. Another thing to keep in mind: Do not use your gas stove to heat the house as you will run the risk of getting carbon monoxide poisoning. If you plug in a space heater try to avoiding using extension cords; they can overheat and catch fire too.