After a 20 hour long standoff with police in Latonia over the weekend, FOX19's Sara Celi and Hagit Limor took a closer look inside the life of the decorated military vet Michael Vaughan.
Covington Police Chief Spike Jones says it's likely Vaughan was suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. After being treated for his injuries during the standoff, he will be evaluated with the help of veterans affairs.
FOX19's Sara Celi reported live in Ft. Thomas at the Veteran Affairs Center where Vaughan was treated for PTSD.
Celi tells FOX19 that military authorities say Vaughan was removed from the military this summer for conduct unbecoming of an officer. Vaughan was also under investigation in Washington for cyber stalking and identity theft in 2009.
Documents show that Vaughan has a troubled history of domestic violence, restraining orders, criminal cases, lawsuits against the Kentucky Army National Guard and more.
Rebecca Williams, a neighbor at the scene of the standoff, tells FOX19, "He told all of us how he and his wife got into a big argument last year because he caught her cheating. I guess that's why they split up, and then he had a different girlfriend, that's the one that was involved yesterday."
Williams tells Celi that she isn't surprised about the standoff that paralyzed her neighborhood and she thought Vaughan was unstable ever since he moved into the house next door.
Williams say Vaughan terrorized his young children and she even saw it happen once. Williams stated, "One time during the summer, they were outside putting fence posts in the ground, and he was like calling them out of their name and stuff, and saying why can't you do it? It's a 10 year old girl, you know what I mean, and how is she supposed to know how to do it? She would stand there with her head hung because he was screaming at her over it."
Court documents obtained by FOX19 show three domestic violence protection orders against Vaughan filed by a woman named Jennifer. While out on bond for that charge in March, Vaughan was order to home incarceration. However, the court later allowed him to attend his treatments for PTSD.
In May, A jury convicted Vaughan of violating one of those orders earlier this year and the jury ordered him to 60 days in jail with a $500 fine.
Williams says that fits what she knows about Vaughan, "Yeah, I think he was really paranoid about everything. And he only talked to us sometimes."
Military authorities also tell FOX19 that the Kentucky National Guard was unaware of any claims of PTSD until after action was taken to remove him as an officer.
During the standoff, Vaughan placed blame on Paul's office saying, "Shots fired at my house, ensure to thank Senator Rand Paul and his assistant Bobette Franklin for their help."
Kentucky Senator Rand Paul's Office has released a statement to FOX19 in response to that Facebook post stating "Sen. Paul's office provides assistance to any veteran or other Kentuckian who seeks help with federal government. Every request for assistance is handled respectfully and thoroughly. The office also values the privacy of individuals seeking assistance and does not discuss the details of their private situations with the press."
FOX19 has learned Vaughan shared details about his time in Afghanistan as part if a project for the University of Kentucky.
FOX19's Hagit Limor shared the exclusive potion of his audio interview. Limor says in 2009, Vaughan sat down for a two-hour long interview for a UK oral history project that focused on Kentucky National Guard Troops.
Vaughan said while in Afghanistan, he counseled soldiers dealing with combat stress. In the interview, Vaughan also describes being injured during an attack in an area called "Ambush Alley," where two other soldiers died.
Hagit took a closer look at PTSD in veterans. Experts thinks 11-20 percent of veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars are experiencing symptoms of PTSD.
The Cincinnati VA Medical Center has several treatment programs and last year, the PTSDF clinic saw more than 1,800 patients.
Hagit tells FOX19 that the treatment programs have a 70 percent success rate. The remaining 30 percent continue to cope with substance abuse, depression and other mental health issues.
Doctors say the earlier a veteran seeks treatment, the better it will be for the vet and his or her family. Unfortunately, many suffer in silence.
FOX19 is continuing to follow this story as more information becomes available.
Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.
A picture is worth a thousand word, but one picture captured by a MAX bus driver captured tells a story of determination.More >>