Preventing house fires - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Preventing house fires

Posted: Updated:
SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -

With the recent house fires around the Ark-La-Tex area, it's important for residents to keep in mind some tips to prevent house fires.

As the weather cools, many residents use space heaters. Properly handling space heaters and other portable heating devices is key in preventing a fire from happening.

Keep space heaters at least 3-feet away from items that can burn or catch fire, such as curtains, bedding and other furniture.

When you leave the room or go to bed, be sure to turn the space heater off. You might consider a space heater with an automatic shut-off feature.

Do not plug space heaters into extension cords. Plug a space heater, generator or other large appliance directly into the wall socket.

With that, be sure to check all cords, wires and wall sockets for any damage. If any of those items are damaged, get them repaired. This will help prevent an electrical fire from starting in the home.

During the holidays, if you have a Christmas tree, keep it watered daily. If it dries out, it will become prone to catching fire. Check the lights on the tree for any damage to the cords. Also, keep the tree away from heating devices like space heaters, a fireplace, burning candles, and out of the way of an exit in case of an emergency.

When cooking indoors, never leave a pan unattended on the stove. Be sure to watch as you cook in the kitchen. Many house fires begin in the kitchen.

Do not leave your oven on and do not use it as a way to heat your home.

For more tips and advice about fire safety and preventing house fires you can visit the U.S. Fire Administration website by clicking HERE.

Copyright 2013 KSLA. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow