Southwest Shreveport house fire sparked by unattended candles - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

SFD: Southwest Shreveport house fire sparked by unattended candles

Posted: Updated:
SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -

A fire that heavily damaged a home in southwest Shreveport Sunday night is blamed on candles left unattended.

The Shreveport Fire Department responded to a reported house fire in the 3500 block of Legend Lane at 6:45 PM.  SFD Asst. Chief Fred Sanders says Engine 17 arrived 5 minutes later to find heavy smoke coming from the eaves and flames visible at the northeast exterior corner.

Sanders says Engine 17 entered the home and discovered heavy flames that had extended into the attic. It took 6 units--18 firefighters--13 minutes to bring the fire under control.

The homeowner told fire officials that he had left unattended candles burning in the northeast corner bedroom before the smoke alarm went off.

Fire investigators estimate the property loss at more than $30,000 in damage. The exact cause of the fire is under investigation.

Copyright 2013 KSLA. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow