Thursday, April 24 2014 7:36 PM EDT2014-04-24 23:36:25 GMT
The Bossier Parish School Board voted Thursday afternoon to save the district $2 million, which will speed up their school building plan. The board voted to sell $25 million worth of bonds this afternoon,More >>
The Bossier Parish School Board voted Thursday afternoon to save the district $2 million, which will speed up their school building plan.More >>
BOSSIER CITY, LA (KSLA) -
Two Bossier City residents taken to the hospital Thursday with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning have since been released.
Bossier City spokesman Mark Natale the Bossier City Fire Department transported two people to a local hospital this morning after they were exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide inside a home. Fire and EMS personnel responded to a residence in the 1200 block of Waller Avenue at about 7:30 a.m. in reference to the smell of natural gas inside the house.
When crews arrived they found some of the seven occupants exhibiting varying degrees of symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning including nausea, vomiting and dizziness. Firefighters also detected high levels of carbon monoxide inside the house that were suspected of coming from the home's central heating unit which operates on natural gas.
Two of occupants, both adult males, were transported to Willis-Knighton South in Shreveport. Both were responsive and were later released.
Exposure to carbon monoxide, or CO, can be fatal. It's often called "the silent killer" since you cannot see, taste, or smell it. It can be created when fossil fuels, such as kerosene, gasoline, coal, natural gas, propane, methane or wood do not burn properly.
The Bossier City Fire Department recommends residents take steps to making sure their home heating systems and appliances are working correctly to prevent situations like the one this morning from happening.
The United States Fire Administrations offers these prevention tips:
Install and maintain CO alarms inside your home to provide early warning of carbon monoxide.
CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each separate sleeping area, on every level of the home, and in other locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards.
Have fuel-burning heating equipment (fireplaces, furnaces, water heaters, wood stoves, coal stoves, space heaters and portable heaters) and chimneys inspected by a professional every year.
Make sure dampers are open for proper ventilation before using a fireplace.
Never use your oven or stovetop to heat your home.
When purchasing new heating and cooking equipment, select products tested and labeled by a recognized testing laboratory.
Make sure all fuel-burning vented equipment is vented to the outside to avoid CO poisoning. Keep the venting for exhaust clear and unblocked.
Thursday, April 24 2014 2:50 PM EDT2014-04-24 18:50:03 GMT
A Marion County waste-to-power plant was reportedly converting medical waste, including human tissue and possibly aborted fetuses, into power.That report prompted Marion County commissioners to scheduleMore >>
A Marion County waste-to-power plant was reportedly converting medical waste, including human tissue and possibly aborted fetuses, into power.More >>
A pedestrian explains to KSLA News 12 the temptation to avoid a busy Shreveport crosswalk and instead use a popular shortcut, used dozens of times a day. But, that's exactly the spot that turned into a tragic accident on Thursday.More >>
Wednesday, April 23 2014 4:28 PM EDT2014-04-23 20:28:26 GMT
Pranks can be mean-spirited and cruel. Not this one. Parents of this youngster have decided to make his childhood just a little more magical. Take a look. Please feel free to try and trick your childrenMore >>
Click here to watch the adorable trick parents played on their little one, and to hear his jocular response.More >>
1812 Fairfield Avenue
Shreveport, LA 71101