DETROIT, MI (RNN) - Police announced Thursday that a convicted felon arrested on an unrelated charge was a person of interest in the barbershop shooting that claimed the lives of three people.
Police Chief James Craig said 20 to 30 people were "packed in" the shop engaging in gambling activities when the gunfire took place at around 5:45 p.m. ET.
"Officers were able to develop information that there was an ongoing feud between a particular individual and several members of the gambling party," he said. "Further investigation revealed this individual may be involved in at least two other violent crimes."
Craig did not identify the man, but said he was wearing body armor when authorities picked him up.
The police chief also confirmed nine people had been injured by gunshots, and three of them had died. The third man died hours after the gunfire happened in a hospital, according to the Associated Press.
Craig said multiple people inside the building had been armed, and at least one fired back. According to a witness report, the offender drove into the alley behind the shop and opened fire on a pickup truck with someone inside.
"The shooter, after he fired the initial volley of rounds, exited his vehicle and fired with a high-powered rifle into the rear of the barbershop through an open door," Craig said.
Police had been looking for a white Chevrolet Impala and a black Impala, both 2004 models.
All of the victims were male, according to CNN. The number of shooters involved is also unknown, but CNN reported that someone shot into the barber shop, then opened fire again as people came out of the shop.
"Somehow someone shot into the building, and that's when people rushed out of the building and were running into other area businesses for cover," said Police spokeswoman Kelly Miner.
Copyright 2013 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.