Man suffers extensive burns after costume catches fire - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Man suffers extensive burns after costume catches fire

Posted: Updated:
TYLER, TX (KLTV) -

The Tyler Fire Department is looking into how a man's Halloween costume caught fire, leaving him with severe burns. Firefighters were called to the 2100 block of Holly Leaf Drive in Tyler around 6:40 Thursday night.

Fire officials said the victim, only identified as a man in his late 40s, was wearing a costume that caught on fire. The costume has been identified as a ghillie, which is a camouflage suit typically worn while hunting. Witnesses told investigators they believe a cigarette may have led to the fire. Witnesses helped extinguish the man, but he had already suffered extensive burns to several parts of his body.

The man was transported to a local hospital and later flown to Dallas for treatment of the burns. There is no word on his condition at this time.

Officials with the Tyler Fire Marshal's Office have begun an investigation into the events of the fire and have interviewed witnesses and family. 

Investigators said they have sent the ghillie suit to the State Fire Marshal's office in Austin where it will be tested. They hope to determine when and where it was made. Investigators said if the suit is older, it may not have a fire retardant. They said the fire spread quickly and their investigation may advise the makers of this suit to include a flammable warning. 

Further information will be released as it becomes available.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow