Happy Wednesday, everyone; we hope you're staying warm and dry today while we experience some much-needed rain here in East Texas.
While you're staying in out of the rain, here are some stories for you to check out:
1. First on our minds today: weather! As the cold front moves into the area tomorrow morning, more showers and occasional thunderstorms will develop. There is the potential for these storms to produce strong gusty winds and very heavy rainfall. An isolated, small tornado is not out of the question, but most of those should occur well to our north and northeast. Due to the heavy rainfall today and more through tomorrow afternoon, a Flash Flood Watch has been issued for areas along and north of a line from Palestine to Rusk to Carthage. This does include the Tyler, Longview and Jacksonville areas. In the watch area, an additional 1 to 3 inches of rain is possible with a few locations getting up to 4 inches.
In addition to very heavy rain, there is a slight chance of a strong storm or two reaching severe levels. The main threat with any of the strongest storms, will be gusty winds of 50-60mph. Join Chief Meteorologist Mark Scirto for more on the weather tonight on East Texas News at 4, 5 and 6pm.
2. A woman has decided to take childhood obesity into her own hands with a letter she plans to hand out to children she said she believes are "moderately obese." "I just want to send a message to the parents of kids that are really overweight," a woman only known as Cheryl said Tuesday. "I think it's just really irresponsible of parents to send them out looking for free candy just because all the other kids are doing it." Read her letter here.
3. We have your daily dose of Texas history ready for you this afternoon; check out what happened on Oct. 30 in our great state's past, and see today's Texas song and quote, as well. Click right here to see the list.
4. Speaking of Texas history, there are rumors and reports that the Alamo is going to be placed under the control of the United Nations. Is it true? A Texas official had a few choice words about that. Find out what Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson had to say about it here.
5. One of three suspects in the Ronnie Gammage murder trial has been sentenced to life in prison without parole for the late 2012 murder of 27-year old Gammage, who was violently killed after the three took him to his bank to have him cash a check and give the $400 to him. Gammage's grieving mother read a statement today in court. See what she had to say here.
6. For those wondering if putting on blackface for Halloween is appropriate, one website's answer consists of a simple, two-letter word: no. Read which celebrity is the latest to apologize for dressing in this way here.
7. Social Security benefits will rise 1.5 percent in January, giving millions of retired and disabled workers an average raise of $19 a month to keep up with the cost of living. The increase is among the smallest since automatic adjustments were adopted in 1975, and reflects the fact that consumer prices haven't gone up much in the past year.
Here's the link to our livestream on KLTV.com. You can check out our news there this evening at 4, 5 and 6!
We'll see you then!
KLTV Digital Content Producer