Here are some stories of interest for you to peruse this afternoon:
1. Modern-day pirates kidnapped two Americans working on a commercial ship near the coast of Nigeria, U.S. officials said Thursday. And the Nigerian navy ordered its forces to mount a rescue operation. "We are seeking additional information so we can contribute to the safe resolution of the situation," White House spokesman Jay Carney said.
2. The Rusk County Sheriff's Office confirms Tate Earnest Nelson has been admitted to Vernon State Hospital where he is being evaluated to see if he can stand trial. Nelson was charged with aggravated robbery with serious bodily injury, a first degree felony, back in February of 2012 after he attacked his acquaintance, Precious French, in her car.
3. The Lindale ISD Pink Out held on Friday, October 11 raised $10,890 to benefit the TMF Ross Breast Center. Funds raised will allow for the continuance of breast cancer awareness education programs and may provide potentially lifesaving, screening mammograms to the underserved women of east Texas. The LISD Pink Out is an annual district event to show support for breast cancer awareness and research.
4. Whenever an app is made for smartphones, it's either a complete success or a complete dud. Bitstrips is the latest success in a smartphone-obsessed world. Have you played with this app yet? Here's more information so you can try it out.
5. KLTV Pet Patrol: have you ever lost a pet, or found one roaming around that you really wanted to help reunite with its owner? We have created a place for you to do just that! Click here to see how easy it is!
6. Lindale ISD has some news to be proud of today; the annual LISD Pink Out for breast cancer awareness raised over $10,000 for breast cancer research! Check out the details here. Good job, Lindale students!
7. The Meals on Wheels Ministry of East Texas does a great service to the community, taking meals to seniors and homebound East Texans. There has been a $40,000 matching grant announced, which means if you donate Meals on Wheels, your gift is matched, up to $40,000! That will go a long way in feeding hungry East Texans! Click here to find out how to donate.