Amoeba has killed in DeSoto Parish before - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Amoeba has killed in DeSoto Parish before

Posted: Updated: Oct 24, 2013 05:10 PM
Will Matthews, died after wakeboarding in Cross Lake. His family says he was infected with the deadly brain-eating N. Fowleri bacteria. (Source: Tyree Matthews) Will Matthews, died after wakeboarding in Cross Lake. His family says he was infected with the deadly brain-eating N. Fowleri bacteria. (Source: Tyree Matthews)
  • KSLA News 12 HeadlinesMore>>

  • Vision for South Bossier City's future unveiled by planning firm

    Vision for South Bossier City's future unveiled by planning firm

    Friday, August 1 2014 12:05 AM EDT2014-08-01 04:05:06 GMT
    South Bossier Residents listen to presentation.South Bossier Residents listen to presentation.
    Leaders and planning consultants held their final public meeting Thursday about transforming a 10-street block area from the Shreveport-Barksdale bridge to just past the Century Link Center.More >>
    Leaders and planning consultants held their final public meeting Thursday about transforming a 10-street block area from the Shreveport-Barksdale bridge to just past the Century Link Center.More >>
  • Shreveport NICU sees more twins than ever

    Shreveport NICU sees more twins than ever

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:37 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:37:17 GMT
    The Pearce twins are one of nine sets of twins at University Health Shreveport right now.The Pearce twins are one of nine sets of twins at University Health Shreveport right now.
    These babies are one set of nine sets of twins being cared for at the Neo-natal intensive care unit at University Health in Shreveport right now.More >>
    These babies are one set of nine sets of twins being cared for at the Neo-natal intensive care unit at University Health in Shreveport right now.More >>
  • Grade changing allegations surface at BTW

    Grade changing allegations surface at BTW

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:14 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:14:05 GMT
    Caddo Parish Public Schools officials are investigating allegations that student grades were changed at Shreveport's Booker T. Washington New Tech High School.More >>
    Caddo Parish Public Schools officials are investigating allegations that student grades were changed at Shreveport's Booker T. Washington New Tech High School.More >>
DESOTO PARISH, LA (KSLA) -

Health officials say the deadly brain-eating amoeba Naegleria Fowleri is rare, but it's killed before in DeSoto Parish.

It's the same amoeba that caused the August death of a child in south Louisiana, and according to the Louisiana Department of Health and hospitals, it has been found in five locations in the DeSoto Parish Waterworks District No. 1, which is one of 14 water systems in the parish.

The Naegleria Fowler amoeba can cause death within 1 to 12 days from infection, according to the LA DHH. As for how it might have gotten into the water system, "Our working theory is that it would have to have been something after it has been treated at the plant," says J.C. Lane, the Assistant Secretary for Health with the DHH.

It's not the first time the amoeba has been found in the very same water system. "2 years ago, my husband's aunt, Dianne, used a netti pot and she used tap water in her netti pot," says Elizabeth Pickett. "She was at home and she lives in Desoto Parish in Water District 1."

Her aunt's kitchen sink and water heater tested positive for the amoeba. The autopsy showed that amoeba was the cause of her death. "She had a really bad headache, she was vomiting, and it just continued to get worse until they took her and immediately put her into ICU," Pickett says.

Those symptoms exactly mimic the ones a 14-year-old Shreveport boy died from after wake boarding in Cross Lake in 2010. "Exactly a week later, he started complaining of a head ache," recalls Will Matthews' mother, Tyree. "Tuesday morning he woke up and was vomiting. Within about 30 minutes of waiting at the emergency room, he was already confused, didn't know his name, it was Sunday to Sunday, 7 days."

The Matthews say the amoeba isn't as rare as the CDC and DHH claim. That is because the government is not counting deaths like Will's. "They are going by doctors documented cases, well the problem is is that you've got these undocumented cases, where we know, without shadow of a doubt that's what he had," Matthews says.

Topping the list of safety precautions suggested by health officials: Remember to keep your head above water. The amoeba gets to the brain through the nose. Do not get the water in your nose. The DHH says the water is safe to drink.

Copyright 2013 KSLA. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow