Shreveport teen hailed a hero for alerting grandmother to fire - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Shreveport teen hailed as a hero for alerting grandmother to house fire

Posted: Updated:
Trey Breyboy's grandfather offers a thankful embrace for acting quickly when he realized his grandmother's house was on fire. Trey Breyboy's grandfather offers a thankful embrace for acting quickly when he realized his grandmother's house was on fire.
The fire at a home in the 1700 block of Perrin was contained mainly to a back storage area. The fire at a home in the 1700 block of Perrin was contained mainly to a back storage area.
SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -

A Shreveport teen is credited with acting fast enough to keep things from going bad to worse when he saw that his grandmother's house was on fire Sunday morning.

Firefighters were called to a home in the 1700 block of Perrin around 10:40 a.m.  First units on the scene reported smoke and flames coming from the rear of the house.  They were able to extinguish the flames by 10:57 a.m.

Shreveport Assistant Fire Chief Fred Sanders says one person was home at the time of the fire, but family members say a grandmother and a child were inside.  "We saw smoke out the back of the house," said 15-year-old Trey Brayboy, who describes feeling scared when he noticed his grandmother's house was on fire as he was walking out of church. Brayboy ran toward the burning home, "I rang the door bell, because I don't think my Grandma knew it was on fire, so I got her out of there and my cousin and called 911," he explained.

Sanders says firefighters arrived 3 minutes after they received Brayboy's phone call and knocked the flames down in 15 minutes. "He did react well, no one was injured and it's a great day," said Sander's about Brayboy.
 
Family members are calling Brayboy a "hero", but as far the title goes, Brayboy tells KSLA News 12 he only "kinda" feels like a hero.  "I'm just glad nobody got hurt," said Brayboy.

Sanders explained the fire appears to have started in the back of the home near a storage room, Sanders said.  Most of the damage was contained to that area although some flames did reach into the attic.  Most of the living space did sustain some smoke damage.

There were no reports of any injuries.

Copyright 2013 KSLA.  All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow