Good afternoon! We hope you're staying cool out there on this hot East Texas day.
Here are some stories for you to peruse this afternoon:
1. An officer with the Daingerfield Police Department is battling cancer, but her friends and family have taken up the fight alongside her to raise money and show their solidarity. Officer Amanda Laake Solis was diagnosed with two forms of Leukemia last Friday.
2. Sheriff: Known gang members linked to multiple daytime robberies. Two houses were burglarized in the Alba-Golden area. That same day, three houses were burglarized in the Hoard area. Gun safes were stolen from two of these houses. Wood County investigators have been working closely with other agencies on these cases. Read the rest of the details here.
3. A Tyler man claimed the $1 million Powerball prize he won using a quick pick ticket. Congratulations to Carlos Gean for his big win! More details here.
4. The U.S. Department of Agriculture granted approval for China, a country with a questionable food safety record, to process poultry that will be imported for consumption in America.The New York Times reported a limited amount of poultry will be slaughtered in the U.S. and Canada, shipped overseas to four approved plants and shipped back stateside.Because USDA rules do not require labels for food that has been cooked, consumers will not know if their poultry has been processed domestically or abroad. Read more here.
5. The summer is officially over, but we do still have lots of fun things to do in East Texas each and every weekend! Check out this list and choose a thing or two to keep yourself and your family and friends entertained.
6. A Kilgore Independent School District elementary school was locked down for a brief period on Thursday afternoon after school officials became concerned about a possible threat. Thankfully all is well now.
7. The recent conversion of KE Bushman's Celebration Center from a winery to a private club has opened up the doors to larger events with wide appeal. They are launching an opry type monthly music event this Saturday entitled "Country Hearts". The premier showcase will feature East Texas' own Linda Davis, famous for her Grammy award-winning duet with Reba McEntire, "Does He Love You". Details here.
Here's the link to our livestream for those of you who would like to watch our live newscasts on KLTV.com this evening at 4, 5 and 6.
We'll see you soon!
KLTV Web Producer