Caddo superintendent candidate won't reapply - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Caddo superintendent candidate won't reapply

Posted: Updated:
Caddo Parish School Board Superintendent Candidate John Dilworth says he won't be reapplying for the job. Caddo Parish School Board Superintendent Candidate John Dilworth says he won't be reapplying for the job.
SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -

The former finalist candidate for the superintendent's job in Caddo Parish has confirmed he will not be reapplying for the job.

As of last week, Dilworth had told KSLA news 12 that he had not decided yet whether he would reapply. Now, he says he appreciates the opportunity for the job in the first place, "but I think it's critical that the board choose a leader that the majority is clear that the board thinks is the right person to lead the district through a very critical next couple of years."

Dilworth was one of two finalists for the job before the Caddo Parish School Board split twice on votes between him and Caddo Schools Chief of Staff Mary Nash Robinson. That led to Nash Robinson removing herself from consideration and the board appointing her to serve as interim until a permanent superintendent can be hired.

The school board has already spent $30,000 on an outside company to conduct the search. On August 6, they voted to begin the search over again with a goal of finding a new leader for Caddo schools within 90 days. The Nebraska firm hired to conduct the search has agreed to re-start the process at no extra charge.

While he says he will not be among those submitting a resume in the new search, Dilworth suggests the ultimate choice will have their work cut out for them.

"Caddo is getting ready to go through a transformational period with the charter schools coming and the schools that are still failing, even though they had 10 to come out this year, and I think it's imperative that they select somebody that they feel like they could work with, because that's the person working with the board who will make the decision that will affect 42,000 children and I don't know how many parents. So I commend them for not just doing a 7-5 vote for the sake of picking a superintendent, but to make sure they select the right person."

Dilworth, who most recently served as superintendent of East Baton Rouge schools, says he still plans to move back to his native northwest Louisiana.

Copyright 2013 KSLA. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow