Family escapes fire at home in Allendale neighborhood - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Family escapes fire at home in Allendale neighborhood

Posted: Updated:
SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -

A family is safe after a stove fire spread through their home in the Allendale neighborhood Thursday morning.

Shreveport firefighters say the fire started just after 1:30 a.m. at a home on Clay Street. When firefighters arrived, they encountered heavy smoke and flames.

Fire officials say the couple that was in the home says that grease was being heated to cook fish and they fell asleep. The man woke up to find flames extending to the ceiling of the kitchen. Both people escaped without injury before firefighters arrived.

Fire crews were able to get the fire under control within 20 minutes.

Fire investigators have confirmed the fire originated in the kitchen on the stove top. The fire was caused when grease was heated to its point of ignition.  The damage is estimated at $40,000. 

The family has found somewhere to stay due to the damage at their home.

Copyright 2013 KSLA. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow