Teenager participated in Gang of One Program - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Teenager participated in Gang of One Program

Posted: Updated:
  • KSLA News 12 HeadlinesMore>>

  • With 6-4 vote, BESE joins Common Core lawsuit against Gov. Jindal

    With 6-4 vote, BESE joins Common Core lawsuit against Gov. Jindal

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 7:35 PM EDT2014-07-29 23:35:23 GMT

    The fight over Common Core got hotter with dueling lawsuits. On Tuesday afternoon, The Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE) voted 6- 4 to join a lawsuit filed by parents and teachers against Governor Bobby Jindal. Governor Jindal's administration then filed their own lawsuit.

    More >>
    The fight over Common Core got hotter with dueling lawsuits. On Tuesday afternoon, The Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE) voted 6- 4 to join a lawsuit filed by parents and teachers against Governor Bobby Jindal. Governor Jindal's administration then filed their own lawsuit.
    More >>
  • Bowie County cuts prompt deputy to retire early

    Bowie County cuts prompt deputy to retire early

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 7:30 PM EDT2014-07-29 23:30:40 GMT
    Deputy Garry McCrary is leaving his post in Bowie County so others can keep their jobs.Deputy Garry McCrary is leaving his post in Bowie County so others can keep their jobs.
    July 31 is the due date for each department in Bowie County to cut its payroll budget, and so far, more than 15 positions have been slashed to save the county money.More >>
    July 31 is the due date for each department in Bowie County to cut its payroll budget, and so far, more than 15 positions have been slashed to save the county money.More >>
  • Army rejects EPA's order to clean up Camp Minden

    Army rejects EPA's order to clean up Camp Minden

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 6:53 PM EDT2014-07-29 22:53:02 GMT
    Authorities have said Explo improperly stored tons of a military propellant at Camp Minden, causing evacuation of the town of Doyline in October 2013. (Source: Louisiana State Police)Authorities have said Explo improperly stored tons of a military propellant at Camp Minden, causing evacuation of the town of Doyline in October 2013. (Source: Louisiana State Police)
    The U.S. Army said it will not comply with the EPA's order that it clean up propellant it shipped to Camp Minden, hedging on the bet that the environmental agency doesn't have the authority to even make the demand.More >>
    The U.S. Army said it will not comply with the EPA's order that it clean up propellant it shipped to Camp Minden, hedging on the bet that the environmental agency doesn't have the authority to even make the demand.More >>
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

WBTV has learned new information about how police tried to help 17-year-old Jaquaz Walker stay out of trouble.

He was a graduate of the Police Department's Gang of One program. That program helps teenagers stay out of gangs. His grandmother, LeWanda Walker, believes the program was helping her grandson.

"He was talking to us more," Walker said. "And he stayed in the house a little more, but after while that eased off because he didn't have that back."

The grandmother wished Jaquaz spent more time in the Gang of One program.

"I believe really," the grandmother said. "If they would have kept him going to that for awhile, I think he would have had a chance." 

The grandmother tells WBTV the family is still upset at the shooting and they still don't understand why police shot and killed the teenager.  She says they plan to sue CMPD.  Despite her feelings toward the police department, she doesn't want the community to retaliate in a violent way. 

"I wouldn't want nobody to feel the pain that I am feeling right now." the grandmother said.

The teenager's funeral is set for Monday at The Park Church.

Meanwhile police claim the shooting was justified. Police say they were forced to shoot in a gang-related undercover drug operation at an elementary school.

Jaquaz Walker, 17, was wearing an electronic monitoring anklet at the time of his death, according to Chief Rodney Monroe.

WBTV checked his criminal record and learned Walker faced felony breaking and entering charges and that's why he was on an electronic monitor.

Chief Monroe also told WBTV the shooting involved a marijuana drug deal between an undercover officer, informant and two teenage suspects.

Police tell us Walker shot the informant in the shoulder after attempting to rob him, and that's why police opened fire.

Walker died at Carolinas Medical Center Tuesday night.

Walker's family held a vigil in his memory Thursday night. His aunt lashed at CMPD for the way her nephew died.

"He was a normal kid," she insisted. "But he got gunned down."

But police say they had no other choice. Chief Rodney Monroe told me -- Walker opened fire first and that's why police shot back. Police also say they recovered the teen's gun at the scene.

Close friend Melik Gaines, admitted his friend's mistakes.

"He was smart," he said. "He ain't never hurt nobody. But he made a wrong decision. It cost him his life."

His aunt also lashed out at the media's portrayal of Jaquaz.

"It's ridiculous how they're portraying him," she said. "Get the facts before you put stuff on the news."

But Walker's posts on Facebook tell their own story. There are pictures of him holding guns and disturbing posts like "See I'm a shooter but I'm my brother's shooter, too" and another one that says "Hidden Valley shooter."

His Twitter page is just as revealing. One of his tweets reads "tell them boys its bullets with their names on it."

But Gaines believes that was just a persona -- and not the friend he knew.

"He wouldn't hurt nobody," he repeated.

Walker's mother, Faith Walker, told WBTV's Steve Crump on Wednesday morning that her son wasn't armed when he was shot by police.

"Yesterday at the hospital was just awful," Faith said. "I wasn't allowed to see my son one time."

But Chief Monroe says that claim is untrue as well. He told WBTV, he broke department protocol to allow Walker's parents to see him in the hospital as he lay dying.

Police have identified the second teenager involved in the undercover sting as 17-year-old Davion Drayton.

Officers say Drayton was arrested Wednesday at an associate's home in the Hidden Valley neighborhood on a warrant for assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill.

Police later searched the home and took a bullet, gun, t-shirt, pants, envelope and some photographs, according to the search warrant.

Both teens were enrolled in a CMS alternate school, according to school administrators.

"You know you have 15, 16 year old kids out here wielding firearms, that's a very dangerous situation," said Chief Monroe.

But Walker's mother wasn't so sure.

"I don't think that was the case," she told WBTV on Wednesday. "Either way, he shot my son three times, once in the head."

The school was placed on lockdown as a precaution. There was staff at the school, but no students as summer vacation started last week.

Chief Monroe defended their decision to conduct the undercover operation at an elementary school, saying at no time were staff inside ever in danger.

"Anytime you conduct an undercover operation, what's a good location," he said. "Whether it's a shopping mall or neighborhood, there's no real perfect location."

Monroe also confirmed the shooting is gang-related and part of larger undercover operation ongoing for several months. But he declined to give more details, saying it may compromise their investigation.

The shooting comes at a time when neighbors say the area was showing signs of improvement after years of battling drugs and gang violence.

"It's been quiet in this neighborhood, ain't nothing happened over here, everything been good, it's always somebody come in the neighborhood and do this, it ain't nobody in our neighborhood," said neighborhood resident Johnnie Crank.

No officers were hurt in the shooting.

Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow