CAMP MINDEN, LA (KSLA) - Two weeks after Louisiana State Police revoked the licenses of Explo Systems, Inc., the explosives recycling company had them back.
In fact, the company and its owners, accused of improperly storing tons of explosives, had their licenses back within hours of filing suit against the Louisiana State Police in state court on Friday, when a judge issued a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) in Explo's favor.
Authorities have said Explo improperly stored tons of a military propellant at Camp Minden, resulting in the evacuation of the town of Doyline last year.
The owners claim their constitutional right against unreasonable seizure was violated when state police, without warning, took all licenses and keys to the storage magazines in May. That, they argue, has caused the company the loss of property, loss of sales, loss of right to use the leased magazines on the site and even loss of reputation. The suit also claims that LSP does not have jurisdiction over the material, and that M6 is not explosive.
"The facts are the facts, had lightening struck, the way it was compacted, every expert tells us it would have been extremely dangerous," said Representative Jeff Thompson from Bossier City. Thompson has been working to change laws so that there is better oversight for such materials. Thompson also wants to make sure the state recovers all the money spent to secure the propellant and to evacuate the entire town of Doyline during the initial discovery.
A hearing will be held on June 17 in District Court in
East Baton Rouge to decide if the restraining order should stand.
Meanwhile, criminal charges are pending against the company and 6 individuals in connection with the allegations of improper storage.
They were indicted on Monday by a Webster Parish grand jury on charges that include unlawful storage of explosives, reckless storage of explosives, failure to obtain magazine license, failure to properly mark, explosive material, and failure to keep accurate inventory. There are also conspiracy charges for each of those, since more than two people were allegedly involved.
Warrants are expected to be issued on those criminal charges within the next few days.
The Webster Parish DA's Office has asked for the indictments to be sealed, so the identities of the individuals who will be charged are not yet known, but the names of the individuals listed as plaintiffs in Explo's suit against the Louisiana State are as follows: David A. Smith, David P. Fincher, Clifford Morrison, Kenneth Lampkin, Wm. Terry Wright, Carl Wayne Black, Todd R. Dietrick, Dina Bearden, Lionel W. Koons, Takisha Dickerson, Daryl Gill, Sr., Floyd B. Hemphill, Steven L. Simmons, Curtis Stovall, Yolanda Willis, Cheryl Hunter and Mickey Kemp.