WEBSTER PARISH, LA (KSLA) - A Webster Parish Grand Jury has indicted six people and the company accused of improperly storing millions of pounds of a military propellant at Camp Minden.
The indictments were handed down Monday morning in the criminal case against Explo Systems, Inc. They come after an eight-month investigation into the explosives recycling company's handling of tons of military propellant at Camp Minden. Authorities say it was improperly stored, prompting an evacuation of the town of Doyline last year.
"Once we determined we have enough material still exposed but still dangerous, we had to find a place to put that," said Webster Parish District Attorney, Schuyler Marvin.
His office has asked for the indictments to be sealed, so the identities of the individuals who will be charged are not yet known.
Marvin says he expects arrests to come over the next few days and confirms the charges include unlawful storage of explosives, reckless storage of explosives, failure to obtain magazine license, failure to properly mark, explosive material, and failure to keep accurate inventory. There are also conspiracy charges for each of those, since more than two people were allegedly involved.
"We have evidence that they had knowledge it was illegal that they had knowledge it was there," said Marvin.
Marvin had promised he would take the case to a Grand Jury a couple of weeks ago, around the same time Louisiana State Police announced that Explo's license had been revoked, and that all 10 million pounds of the M6 propellant had finally been safely stored.
The indictments come three days after Explo filed suit against the Louisiana State Police to get their license back, claiming their constitutional right against unreasonable seizure and taking without just compensation were violated when state police, without warning, took all licenses and keys to the storage magazines.