Future of 10M pounds of M6 at Camp Minden unknown - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Future of 10M pounds of M6 at Camp Minden unknown

Posted: Updated:
Louisiana National Guard Adjutant General, Maj. Glenn Curtis answers questions about who is now responsible for millions of pounds of military propellant now properly stored at Camp Minden. Louisiana National Guard Adjutant General, Maj. Glenn Curtis answers questions about who is now responsible for millions of pounds of military propellant now properly stored at Camp Minden.
After months of moving millions of pounds of improperly-stored military propellant into blast-resistant bunkers, state and local Officials have officially given the "all clear" at Camp Minden.  (Source: Louisiana State Police) After months of moving millions of pounds of improperly-stored military propellant into blast-resistant bunkers, state and local Officials have officially given the "all clear" at Camp Minden. (Source: Louisiana State Police)
The discovery of the improperly stored material, which prompted the evacuation of Doyline, came as the result of an investigation into the October 15 blast at one of the company's storage bunkers. (Source: Louisiana State Police) The discovery of the improperly stored material, which prompted the evacuation of Doyline, came as the result of an investigation into the October 15 blast at one of the company's storage bunkers. (Source: Louisiana State Police)
CAMP MINDEN, LA (KSLA) -

After months of moving millions of pounds of improperly-stored military propellant into blast-resistant bunkers, state and local Officials have officially given the "all clear" at Camp Minden.

"The propellants have safely been shipped off site, or is properly stored at this time," said Maj. General Glenn Curtis with the Louisiana National Guard.

But there are still questions about what will happen to all that hazardous material.

Louisiana State Police announced on Monday that all 10 million pounds of the M6 propellant found unsecured on property leased by Explo Systems, Inc. on the grounds of the Louisiana National Guard facility in November 2012 have been secured by local, state and federal law enforcement.

"It's been placed in a manner that if you did have a mishap, and we certainly don't expect any of that to happen, but if it did, it would be something that would go straight up and not out," said Col. Mike Edmonson with Louisiana State Police.

The discovery of the improperly stored material, which prompted the evacuation of Doyline, came as the result of an investigation into the October 15 blast at one of the company's storage bunkers.

It also prompted a criminal investigation, but that probe had been on the back burner while authorities worked to secure the material.

"Public safety has been the number one issue from day one," said Webster Parish Sheriff Gary Sexton on Wednesday. Now that it's all stored safely in 97 bunkers on the property, Sexton says the criminal investigation will resume.

Explo's licenses to handle explosives have been revoked pending the result of both criminal and civil investigations, according to Louisiana State Police spokesperson Julie Lewis.

The keys to the bunkers have been handed over to the Louisiana State Police. At a news conference Wednesday morning, KSLA News 12's Fred Childers asked, "Now that the 97 keys have ben turned over to the state, is this material now the responsibility of the state?" To which Louisiana National Guard Adjutant General, Maj. Glenn Curtis replied, "No. Explo still owns the material."

Officials went on to explain that, while they don't have access to it, Explo still owns it.

What will happen to it has not yet been determined.

Copyright 2013 KSLA. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow