Report: Bombing suspects originally planned to attack on the Fourth of July
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, right, along with his brother Dzhokhar, left, allegedly planted bombs at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. (Source: FBI)
(RNN) - The brothers who allegedly set off bombs at the Boston Marathon originally planned to set them off on the Fourth of July, according to TheNew York Times.
Citing law enforcement officials, the Times says Dzhokhar Tsarnaev told FBI interrogators he and his brother considered a suicide attack for the Fourth, but decided to attack the marathon instead because they finished building their bombs earlier than anticipated.
The Times says he admitted to planning a Fourth of July attack two days after he was captured while he was recovering from wounds at a Boston-area hospital.
There is no word of the possible target.
However, Boston holds one of the country's biggest Fourth of July fireworks displays, drawing more than 500,000 people.
Meanwhile, on Thursday, the body of dead bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev was turned over to the care of a North Attleboro, MA funeral home.
His body was released by the state medical examiner Thursday and taken to the funeral home.
It is not clear if the family has made funeral arrangements.
Earlier this week, his widow declined to claim the body, saying she wanted his family to claim it. The FBI is interested in a phone call between Katherine Russell and Tamerlan Tsarnaev after he was named as a suspect.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, along with his younger brother Dzhokhar, allegedly planted bombs at the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 15, Patriots Day.
A few days later, police say the pair got into a gun battle with officers after they shot and killed an MIT police officer.
While trying to get away, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev reportedly drove over Tamerlan Tsarnaev.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev's exact cause of death will not be made public until a death certificate is filed.
Copyright 2013 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.