People gathered near where bombs went off last week in Boston for a moment of silence on Monday afternoon.
The following photo is from Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick's Twitter account.
The following photo is from Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's Twitter account.
Huge crowd gathered near where bombs went off last week in Boston for a moment of silence on Monday afternoon.
BOSTON (WFSB) -
At 2:50 p.m. Monday, exactly one week after the Boston Marathon bombings, the city paused for a moment of silence to remember those killed and injured that day.
Two bombs placed about 100 yards apart near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Boylston Street exploded within seconds of each other, killing three and injuring more than 170 people.
Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, Gov. Deval Patrick and One Fund Boston called upon city residents and communities across the Commonwealth to pause and reflect, not only for those killed and injured as a result of the bombing, but also for MIT police Officer Sean Collier, who was shot and killed Thursday night.
"I think it's a very significant," said Greg Earley, who was a half block away from where the bombings occurred. "It's a week ago almost to the moment. What was a gorgeous day is being reflected today."
The scene where the bombs exploded is still cordoned off for investigators.
However, people gathered in areas all around the blockades. Some spilling into the busy Boston streets. But for those few minutes of silence, everything seemed to come to a stop, even cars.
"It's hard to find words, a great healing process, closure for some," said Jillian Hamm of Boston.
The moment of silence lasted for close to 10 minutes in Boston.
Bells tolled after the moment of silence, then everyone clapped and cheered. Some yelled, "We are stronger now."
"It's encouraging. It's inspiring," Earley said. "We're in a very difficult group to be deterred like this."
Boston officials said they are working to build a memorial at the site.
The FBI was expected to turn over the city to Mayor Thomas M. Menino Monday afternoon and present him with the American flag that flew over the finish line at the marathon.
In addition to Massachusetts, Connecticut also paused to remember those killed and injured.
"Connecticut stands with Massachusetts in honoring the victims of the tragedy last week in Boston," Malloy said in a statement. "We thank law enforcement and first responders for their actions at the marathon and in the days that followed. Our thoughts remain with the victims of this senseless tragedy and the families mourning the loss of their loved ones."
Malloy and Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman observed the moment of silence at Minuteman Park in front of the State Armory in Hartford.
"This is an opportunity not only to recognize those innocent people who taken from us or injured one week ago and the first responders who bravely came to their aid, but to reaffirm our resolve against those who attack and threaten our freedom," said Wyman.
After the moment of silence, bells rang across the city of Boston and throughout the entire Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Menino and Patrick said they were humbled by the immense support shown by the public and local business community in the wake of the terrorist act and are encouraging people to visit OneFundBoston to make a donation.
In addition to the OneFunBoston website, AT&T customers can text the word BOSTON to 80108 to donate $10.
The donation will be charged to AT&T customers' monthly bill.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.