Firefighters arrived to find the room and porch above the garage engulfed in flames. (Source: Shep Morgan)
The fire heavily damaged the 2-story home in the 400 block of Summit Drive in the Greenacres neighborhood (Source: Mark Natale)
Firefighters were able to contain the flames within 20 minutes and kept it from spreading to the rest of the house, in spite of gusty winds. (Source: David Boyter)
Three family members were inside the home when the fire started, but all escaped unharmed - except for the family cat (Source: Shep Morgan)
BOSSIER CITY, LA (KSLA) -
Investigators say the fire that heavily damaged a Bossier City home Saturday afternoon was caused by someone leaving a cigarette butt in a paper cup on the home's upstairs deck.
Firefighters were called to the two-story home in the 400 block of Summit in the Greenacres subdivision around 1:30 p.m. They arrived on the scene to find flames and heavy smoke coming from a room and porch above the garage.
Firefighters were able to contain the flames within 20 minutes and kept it from spreading to the rest of the house, in spite of gusty winds.
Bossier City Public Information Officer Mark Natale says a house next door suffered some heat damage due to the fire's intensity.
Family members say they just moved in to the neighborhood 3 months ago. They escaped the blaze unharmed, but believed initially that they had lost the family pet. Whiskers, their 3-legged cat, was missing and believed dead. However, friends of the family say after an agonizing wait to be cleared to go back into the home after the fire was out, Whiskers emerged - terrified, but unscathed.