House fire leaves Shreveport family homeless - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

House fire leaves Shreveport family homeless

Posted: Updated:
SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -

With two kids and one on the way, a Shreveport mother managed to get everyone out of the house as it went up in flames.

It took just 10 minutes of Monday's morning for Shreveport Firefighters to get under control a blaze in the back bedroom of a house in the 1400 block of Camille Street.

Homeowner and parent Alvin Okray says, "That could have been my child." The mother declined to talk with KSLA News 12 after the day's events.

Okray's children weren't' in the bedroom at the time. His wife was giving them a bath. What the flames didn't destroy, smoke and water did. Okray says all of it can be replaced.

"I'm just really blessed to see my kids. They were safe."

The other rooms in the house didn't have as much damage. Okray and his family are hoping they don't have to start completely over.

"We're trying to salvage what we can salvage. We have a storage, a small storage. We weren't able to salvage much but we're going to work with what we got," says Okray's father-in-law.

Okray says they did not have renters insurance so everything they lost. They will have to replace on their own dime. But he says first priority is finding a new place to call home.

"We're going to be looking for another place to live. Until then, we're going to be living place to place."

While the Okray family believes the fire started from an electrical problem in the back bedroom, the exact cause of the blaze has yet to be determined. The Shreveport Fire Department is investigating.

Copyright 2013 KSLA. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow