Family picks up the pieces after fire destroys everything - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Family picks up the pieces after fire destroys everything


When Kenneth Moore pulled up to his business, he saw smoke billowing out from the windows and doors. 

Moore said his in-laws opened M&M Music Store in the 1970s.

"It's kind of sad to see it go like this," Kenneth said.

The fire started around 11 a.m. on Thursday at 1114 West Bow Street. Deputy Fire Marshal James Suggs said the heavy smoke made it even more difficult for firefighters to do their job.

"We had to make this primarily a defensive fire for our first attack because of this intense smoke," Suggs said.

As crews  battled flames inside, the Moore family watched from across the street. Jeanette Moore said she remembers when her mother opened the music store.

"She opened this up back in the 70's and I worked here with her since I was a kid, and it's been in our family ever since that time," Jeanette said.

Then, about five years ago, Jeanette's husband Kenneth took over.

"Gospel, urban, rap, R&B, whatever you want, we go it. We were catching people from the east coast to the west cost," Kenneth said.

He said he has put thousands into the store and had to drop his insurance about a year ago.

"It hurts to drop that and then turn around and catch a beating like this," Kenneth said.

"He'll have to go through there himself with his family. There's no insurance funds to cover the removal of all of this debris and he'll have to inventory what remains, but everything is destroyed," Suggs said.

Kenneth hopes once the smoke clears he will be able salvage some of his inventory and with the help of family and friends open the doors to this business once again.

"It'll be back, it'll be back. It might take a while, but it will be back," Kenneth said.

Suggs believe the source of the fire is the central air unit.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly