Sunday, August 31 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-08-31 19:28:29 GMT
Disturbing pictures of an injured kindergartner from Pascagoula have made a mother's call for action go viral online.More >>
Disturbing pictures of an injured kindergartner from Pascagoula have made a mother's call for action go viral online. Friends and family of a Pascagoula kindergarten student have created a Facebook page and GoFundMe.com account claiming the girl was attacked on the playground this week by another student.More >>
Monday, September 1 2014 10:33 PM EDT2014-09-02 02:33:26 GMT
The Mississippi Highway Patrol has issued an Amber Alert for 17-year-old Katelyn Beard. She was abducted Saturday morning from between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. from 4244 Lynda Street in Jackson. BeardMore >>
Dewayne Thompson, wanted in the wounding and kidnapping of 17-year-old Katelyn Beard, has been captured by Jackson Police. He was taken into custody around 5:45 in west Jackson near where Beard's vehicle was found earlier today.
Tuesday, August 19 2014 4:53 PM EDT2014-08-19 20:53:02 GMT
A cross was burned in the yard of a Smith County man after what his family is referring to as a vicious hate crime occurred. Family members say that Craig Wilson was beaten with brass knuckles and shotMore >>
A burning cross, a Smith county man beaten and shot by a family member, and in critical condition. We are told this is much more than a family feud, and outraged family members are calling it a "hate crime."
You've heard about devastating medication errors happening with people, but pet owners listen to this: the FDA just issued a new warning because investigators are finding prescription mistakes happen with pet meds too.
All Sarah Schuck has left of her beloved 8-year-old Labrador, Rafter, is a collar, pictures, and fond memories.
"It was really hard," said Schuck.
Hard, because it shouldn't have happened. Schuck says the drug store that filled Rafter's prescription made an error. His prescription bottle label said to give Rafter "two and one-fourth teaspoons." According to Schuck, the dosage her vet called into the pharmacy was for much less medication: "two and one-fourth CCs."
The overdose, combined with Rafter's health problems, was too much. Schuck says she had to put him to sleep.
"It was a tough realization," said Schuck.
Just days after Rafter's death, the FDA issued a warning about a pattern of pet prescription mistakes.
FDA investigators discovered errors stemming from simple issues including:
-Drugs with similar names
-Simple penmanship errors
"The consequences can be completely devastating," said veterinarian Dr. Howard Silberman.
Silberman takes prescription precautions at his office. All medications and dosages are typed into a computer, only vets or vet techs fill prescriptions, and pet's pictures are printed on the label so there are no mix-ups.
"We do a tremendous amount to make sure that those things don't happen," said Silberman.
The FDA says while mistakes happen at vet-based pharmacies, when pet prescriptions are filled in "human pharmacies," like in Rafter's case, different systems may be to blame.
"Abbreviations are a common cause of errors" because prescription shorthand taught in veterinary schools is different than in medical schools. Some pharmacists may not be as familiar with vet abbreviations.
"Currently most of the pharmacy curriculums don't touch upon vet medicine," said Carmen Catizone with National Association Boards of Pharmacy.
Pharmacy insiders say if pet owners shop around to find the lowest cost on pet meds, they need to do their research.
"Their primary concern should always be whether or not that pharmacist is knowledgeable in the area of veterinary medications; price should be a secondary consideration," explained Catizone.
How can you avoid a pet prescription mix-up? The American Veterinary Medical Association says communication is key. Make sure the pharmacist speaks to your vet if there are any questions. The FDA advises you should verify the name and dosage of your pet's drug with your vet.
Schuck says she hopes Rafter's legacy lives on to help other pet owners avoid medication mistakes.
"Don't be afraid to ask questions," said Schuck.
FDA investigators also found pet medication errors stemmed from pet owners misinterpreting labels and accidentally giving pets human drugs.