Memorial set up in ETX for elementary school shooting victims - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

Memorial set up in ETX for elementary school shooting victims

People in East Texas are remembering those who lost their lives Friday in the Connecticut elementary school shooting.

A mother and her son spent Sunday comforting each other and honoring the shooting victims who they say will spend Christmas with Jesus.

"I prayed about it and I called around today, nobody knew of a place where they were doing a memorial at so I said, ‘I'm just going to do it,'" says Tammy Ellison, the mom of a student at Carlisle Elementary School.

Ellison set up a memorial outside of the school in Price, TX, just west of Henderson.

"I went to Lowe's to do some plywood and something told me, ‘tell them what you're doing,'" Ellison says.

So she talked to Brian Acton and he decided to help.

"She explained what she was working on and I asked her what she needed and I said, not a problem, whatever we can do to help you, we'll be involved," says Acton, an employee at Lowe's in Henderson, TX.

Lowe's donated the wood for the memorial and Ellison put it all together.

"We did this to show that we care and to kind of help us release and cope with what is going on because it has affected deeply," Ellison says.

But the memorial is not just a way for Ellison to grieve, it's a way for her to honor and remember those who died.

"It's my way of showing that I care and really I want to see my community pull together as a family because that's really what we are," says Ellison.

Acton says, once people see the memorial, they will respond.

"I think once the community finds out about this, all the families, I think there will be some support," says Acton.

Until then, Ellison hopes people remember there is still good in the world even amidst tragedy.

"Just when you think you've seen all the evil, you see the good and good always outweighs evil," Ellison says.

Carlisle Elementary School's Superintendent approved the memorial but did not want to comment on Sunday.

Copyright 2012 KLTV. All rights reserved.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Bush's Baked Beans announces voluntary recall

Sunday, July 23 2017 7:14 PM EDT2017-07-23 23:14:18 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 7:14 PM EDT2017-07-23 23:14:18 GMT

Bush Brothers & Co.Saturday announced a voluntary recall of certain 28-ounce cans of three varieties of its baked beans.

More >>

More >>

After Craigslist scam, man can't enter his own home

Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT

The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist. As the law stands, because they refuse to leave, Keith Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

More >>

The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist while owner Keith Mills was on vacation.. As the law stands, because the renters refuse to leave, Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

More >>

Police: Parents gave newborn drugs to cover up addiction

Sunday, July 23 2017 1:52 AM EDT2017-07-23 05:52:55 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 1:52 AM EDT2017-07-23 05:52:55 GMT
    Colby Wilde, 29, and Lacey Christenson, 26, face four counts each of child endangerment and felony drug charges. (Source: Utah County Sherriff’s Office/KUTV/CNN)Colby Wilde, 29, and Lacey Christenson, 26, face four counts each of child endangerment and felony drug charges. (Source: Utah County Sherriff’s Office/KUTV/CNN)

The baby’s mother used heroin and prescription pain medication during her pregnancy, and the baby was born addicted to drugs, police say.

More >>