A Bossier City family who owned and bred show dogs lost all nine of them Friday morning after a fire broke out in their kennel.
The fire happened around 5 a.m. at a home in the 4100 block of Parkway drive. When firefighters arrived, flames were coming from the home's carport and attic. The homeowner said she was awakened by the smell of smoke and found the fire in the kennel, which sat behind the carport. All four people inside the home got out safely, but they were unable to rescue the dogs, most of which were in cages.
Fire crews had the blaze under control in about 20 minutes. Investigators believe an electric space heater sitting too close to a chair started the fire inside the kennel.
Firefighters say the home suffered significant fire, smoke and water damage.
Sunday, August 31 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-08-31 19:28:29 GMT
Disturbing pictures of an injured kindergartner from Pascagoula have made a mother's call for action go viral online.More >>
Disturbing pictures of an injured kindergartner from Pascagoula have made a mother's call for action go viral online. Friends and family of a Pascagoula kindergarten student have created a Facebook page and GoFundMe.com account claiming the girl was attacked on the playground this week by another student.More >>