Friday, May 24 2013 8:09 PM EDT2013-05-25 00:09:02 GMT
Biomedical Research Foundation has decided to move forward with a plan to operate and manage LSU Hospitals in Shreveport and other cities in Louisiana. More >>
Biomedical Research Foundation has decided to move forward with a plan to operate and manage LSU Hospitals in Shreveport and Monroe, Louisiana.More >>
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -
How safe is the LSU campus? The Business Insider's national survey puts it as the tenth most dangerous in the nation.
Business Insider grades colleges around the nation based on the number of crimes that happen on or near campus. LSU police reported 519 crimes between 2008 and 2011, but Captain Cory Lalonde says those numbers can be somewhat misleading.
"465 of those were involving theft of property. So that accounts for about 90 percent of those incidences were theft related. The other 10 percent were incidents of robbery or assault," said Lalonde.
At the same time, Lalonde says small percentage of violent crime should not give students faculty and staff a false sense of security.
"We are not immune to crime here on this campus," said Lalonde. "There are many number of ways for vehicles to enter and exit campus as well and that much more for pedestrians to enter and exit campus."
Some students tell 9News they generally feel safe going to and from class.
"There's cops always driving around that makes you feel really safe, and then for the most part, I feel like they do a good job trying to keep things under control. I mean you can't protect everybody, but I think they do a really good job," said LSU freshman Samantha Geautreaux.
But they say they do understand they need to be vigilant.
"I'm always aware of my surroundings, and just be careful. I carry around pepper spray so just in case," LSU senior Mecal Morris.
"As long as you get like into routine and you can ...If you notice things that are out of the blue or out of the ordinary, you can be more aware and try to avoid those situations," said LSU junior Trevor Moll.
Lalonde encourages everyone on campus to stay informed about what's happening day and night.
"We want people to know exactly what's going on this campus. The public's awareness is probably the best tool that we have to combat these types of incidences for happening," said Lalonde.
Lalonde says another reason for the high number of crimes may be that more people are reporting things they see to police.
Friday, May 24 2013 9:24 PM EDT2013-05-25 01:24:18 GMT
Concealed weapon permits are popular certain parts of Louisiana, though some of locations may surprise you. Louisiana Department of Public Safety officials gave a report to state legislators detailingMore >>
Concealed weapon permits are popular in certain parts of Louisiana, though some locations may surprise you.More >>
Friday, May 24 2013 11:44 AM EDT2013-05-24 15:44:25 GMT
TAMPA, FL (WTSP/CNN) – Authorities in Tampa, FL, made a startling discovery during a foreclosure eviction. Police found 66-year-old James Hopkins living on the property that belonged to someone else. TheyMore >>
Authorities in Tampa, FL, made a startling discovery during a foreclosure eviction.More >>
Friday, May 24 2013 10:59 AM EDT2013-05-24 14:59:20 GMT
(CNN) – Brad Pitt has become one of the most recognizable faces in Hollywood the last two decades. But the actor said recognizing other people's faces has always been a problem. In an Esquire interview,More >>
In an Esquire interview, Brad Pitt said he was convinced he suffered from "face blindness."More >>
Dan Sligh and his wife were in their pickup truck on Interstate 5 heading to a camping trip when a bridge before them disappeared in a "big puff of dust."More >>
The trucker was hauling drilling equipment when his load bumped against the steel framework over an Interstate 5 bridge. He looked in his rearview mirror and watched in horror as the span collapsed into the water behind him....More >>