SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - Smoke from a burned out elevator motor forced the relocation of several patients at CHRISTUS Schumpert St. Mary Friday morning.
A spokesperson for the hospital says it happened just after 10 a.m., moments after a power surge that affected several other buildings in the area.
Maintenance crews were able to get the fire in the elevator shaft on the 10th floor of the main building out quickly, but it sent smoke into the building. Patients on the 7th floor were moved to lower floors, and employees on the 8th and 9th floors were evacuated briefly when the fire alarms went off.
The Shreveport Fire Department is still on the scene helping remove smoke from the building.