Friday, May 24 2013 8:09 PM EDT2013-05-25 00:09:02 GMT
Biomedical Research Foundation has decided to move forward with a plan to operate and manage LSU Hospitals in Shreveport and other cities in Louisiana. More >>
Biomedical Research Foundation has decided to move forward with a plan to operate and manage LSU Hospitals in Shreveport and Monroe, Louisiana.More >>
SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -
Two adults and one child were taken to the hospital Tuesday for accidental carbon monoxide poisoning at a home in Shreveport's Lakeside neighborhood.
Firefighters were called to the home in the 1400 block of Madison Avenue at 11:47 a.m., after one of the occupants reported general weakness, nausea, and light-headedness affecting the entire family.
Paramedics were able to determine that the occupants had suffered from inhaling dangerous carbon monoxide fumes. The family was removed from the home and all carbon monoxide-producing equipment was shut off.
According to the fire department, special carbon monoxide testing was done in the home, which showed levels in the home were 699 parts per million.
Levels exceeding 35 parts per million can create nausea, vomiting and headaches, therefore this family was in extreme danger" according to Fire Chief Craig Mulford. "The Shreveport Fire Department's policy is that a self-contained breathing apparatus must be worn if carbon monoxide levels reach more than 35 parts per million."
Firefighters were able to determine that the carbon monoxide was coming from a gasoline-powered generator running in the house.
The two adults and one small child were taken to Willis Knighton North, and are being observed by physicians.
Carbon monoxide poisoning prevention tips:
Purchase and install Carbon Monoxide detectors in the hallway near every separate sleeping area in the home if you use natural gas or a fireplace for your heating. If your CO detector sounds, get out and call 911.
Have your heating system, chimneys and fireplaces professionally inspected and serviced every year.
If you have natural gas heat in your home and began to feel dizzy, light-headed and nauseated, get outside immediately and call 911.
Do not attempt to heat your home with the oven because burning an open flame in a closed area uses up oxygen and produces deadly carbon monoxide gases.
Do not use exhaust producing equipment in an enclosed area of a home occupied by humans.
Friday, May 24 2013 9:24 PM EDT2013-05-25 01:24:18 GMT
Concealed weapon permits are popular certain parts of Louisiana, though some of locations may surprise you. Louisiana Department of Public Safety officials gave a report to state legislators detailingMore >>
Concealed weapon permits are popular in certain parts of Louisiana, though some locations may surprise you.More >>
Friday, May 24 2013 11:44 AM EDT2013-05-24 15:44:25 GMT
TAMPA, FL (WTSP/CNN) – Authorities in Tampa, FL, made a startling discovery during a foreclosure eviction. Police found 66-year-old James Hopkins living on the property that belonged to someone else. TheyMore >>
Authorities in Tampa, FL, made a startling discovery during a foreclosure eviction.More >>
Friday, May 24 2013 10:59 AM EDT2013-05-24 14:59:20 GMT
(CNN) – Brad Pitt has become one of the most recognizable faces in Hollywood the last two decades. But the actor said recognizing other people's faces has always been a problem. In an Esquire interview,More >>
In an Esquire interview, Brad Pitt said he was convinced he suffered from "face blindness."More >>
Dan Sligh and his wife were in their pickup truck on Interstate 5 heading to a camping trip when a bridge before them disappeared in a "big puff of dust."More >>
The trucker was hauling drilling equipment when his load bumped against the steel framework over an Interstate 5 bridge. He looked in his rearview mirror and watched in horror as the span collapsed into the water behind him....More >>