One person injured after early morning fire in Shreveport - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

SFD: Early morning fire in Shreveport caused by space heater

Posted: Updated:
SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) -

Fire investigators say an early morning fire in Shreveport's Martin Luther King, Jr. neighborhood that sent one person to the hospital was caused by an overheated space heater cord.

The fire started Tuesday morning just before 7:00 a.m. in the 2500 block of Freddie Street.

Assistant Fire Chief Fred Sanders said the fire damaged at least a couple of rooms.

The homeowner, 49-year-old Rose Ellis, was able to escape safely before firefighters arrived, but was taken to Willis Knighton for smoke inhalation.

The fire has been ruled accidental, likely caused by the power cord of an electric space heater that ignited nearby combustibles. Sanders says the fire caused more than $10,000 in damage to the home.

As cooler weather arrives, the Shreveport Fire Department offers the following safety tips for using heating equipment:

1. Keep the heater away from drapes, furniture or other flammable materials. Place the heater on a level surface away from areas where someone might bump it and knock it over.

2. If you must use an extension cord, make sure it is a heavy duty cord marked with a power rating at least as high as that on the label of the heater itself.

3. Never leave a space heater unattended or running while you sleep.

4. Keep electric heaters away from water. Never use them near a sink or in the bathroom.

5. Do NOT use unvented kerosene heaters inside

6. Maintain a 3 feet (or 1 meter) separation between things that can burn and heating equipment.

7. Install your stationary (fixed) space heater according to manufacturer's instructions or applicable codes or better yet, have it installed by a professional.

8. Make sure fuel-burning equipment is vented to the outside, that the venting is kept clear and unobstructed, and that the exit point is properly sealed around the vent, all of which is to make sure deadly carbon monoxide does not build up in the home.  Inspect all heating equipment annually, and clean as necessary. Test smoke alarms monthly; install a carbon monoxide alarm in a central location outside each sleeping area.

Copyright KSLA-TV 2012. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by WorldNow