SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - The 2012 Mardi Gras season is officially underway in Shreveport - Bossier.
From now through Fat Tuesday, which falls on Tuesday, Feb. 21, locals and visitors alike can enjoy at least five parades and several other special events.
The major parades for Shreveport - Bossier:
- The Krewe of Gemini: Parade rolls at 4:30 p.m. Sat. February 18th, rain or shine; lightning may delay parade.
- St. Joseph Catholic School Mardi Gras Fundraiser, February 18th
- Mardi Gras Magic happening February 18th in Natchitoches
- The Krewe of Highland: Parade rolls at 2:00 p.m. Sun. February 19th
- Providence House Homeless Children Mardi Gras Parade: 10:00 a.m. Tues. February 21st
- The Krewe of Aesclepius Children's Parade, February 21st
Click here for a link to the Shreveport Police Department on Facebook, where they're updating information about parade routes, safety and rules.
Organizers of this year's parades say both the Krewe of Centaur and the Krewe of Gemini parades will roll at 4:30 p.m. following a route that includes Clyde Fant Parkway along the Shreveport riverfront, Shreveport-Barksdale Highway, and East King's Highway.
The Krewe of Highland parade will roll through Shreveport's Highland neighborhood. The family-friendly parade begins at 2 p.m.
And wrapping up the 2012 Mardi Gras season in Shreveport - Bossier, The Krewe of Aesclepius Children's Parade, a parade geared towards families and children, will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Fat Tuesday, Feb. 21, at Pierre Bossier Mall, 2950 E. Texas Street in Bossier City.