1 Year Later: Rally slated to remember the - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

One Year: Rally slated to remember the women slain at the hands of a serial killer

Posted: Updated:
  • KSLA News 12 HeadlinesMore>>

  • Army rejects EPA's order to clean up Camp Minden

    Army rejects EPA's order to clean up Camp Minden

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 6:53 PM EDT2014-07-29 22:53:02 GMT
    Authorities have said Explo improperly stored tons of a military propellant at Camp Minden, causing evacuation of the town of Doyline in October 2013. (Source: Louisiana State Police)Authorities have said Explo improperly stored tons of a military propellant at Camp Minden, causing evacuation of the town of Doyline in October 2013. (Source: Louisiana State Police)
    The U.S. Army said it will not comply with the EPA's order that it clean up propellant it shipped to Camp Minden, hedging on the bet that the environmental agency doesn't have the authority to even make the demand.More >>
    The U.S. Army said it will not comply with the EPA's order that it clean up propellant it shipped to Camp Minden, hedging on the bet that the environmental agency doesn't have the authority to even make the demand.More >>
  • Reward offered in Sabine Parish murder case

    Reward offered in Sabine Parish murder case

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 6:44 PM EDT2014-07-29 22:44:59 GMT
    A reward is being offered for information about the death of a Sabine Parish man found in his burned out home earlier this month.A reward is being offered for information about the death of a Sabine Parish man found in his burned out home earlier this month.
    In an effort to boost their investigation of an early July murder, Sabine Parish deputies are now offering a large reward for information about the murder of a man whose remains were found earlier this month after his house went up in flames.More >>
    In an effort to boost their investigation of an early July murder, Sabine Parish deputies are now offering a large reward for information about the murder of a man whose remains were found earlier this month after his house went up in flames.More >>
  • Man killed in Cass County shooting wanted in Texas

    Man killed in Cass County shooting wanted in Texas

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 6:21 PM EDT2014-07-29 22:21:26 GMT
    Cass County Sheriff's deputies work the scene of a fatal shooting Sunday afternoon in Bloomburg.Cass County Sheriff's deputies work the scene of a fatal shooting Sunday afternoon in Bloomburg.
    The deputy involved in a fatal shooting Sunday evening in Cass County has been identified, along with the man authorities say he was attempting to serve with felony warrants. More >>
    The deputy involved in a fatal shooting Sunday evening in Cass County has been identified, along with the man authorities say he was attempting to serve with felony warrants. More >>

Posted by Web Staff - email | Facebook | Twitter

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - One year ago today, the Cleveland Strangler investigation began.

It was October 29th, 2009, when police started to make gruesome discoveries in and around accused serial killer Anthony Sowell's house. The search took weeks. The investigation took months and it's still not entirely complete.

Victims were found in crawl spaces, in the basement and buried in the back yard. 

Tonight, a special memorial will be held to remember the eleven slain women found at Sowell's Imperial Avenue home.

The large rally and vigil will begin promptly at 5PM with a candlelight vigil following at 6PM in front of Sowell's home, which is now surrounded by a large fence. Dozens of community organizations, victims family members and concerned Clevelanders are expected to attend tonight's rally.

As people prepare to mark the somber anniversary, the accused serial killer sits behind bars, awaiting his next court appearance on November 10th.

Anthony Sowell faces the death penalty.

Meanwhile, the families of four victims and one survivor have joined together in a civil case against Sowell, arguing they shouldn't have to wait for answers concerning their loved ones death.

Defense Attorney Rufus Sims calls the civil suit a distraction that will interfere with Sowell's death penalty trial in February before Judge Dick Ambrose. But the civil suit is also asking tough questions about whether police and government agencies deserve some blame for not uncovering the victims sooner. 

©2010 WOIO. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow