Electrical shortage/ fuel leak may have sparked CFD1 fire

CADDO PARISH, LA (KSLA) – Fire officials may have determined the cause of a major fire Thursday morning that destroyed a Caddo Parish fire station.

Just before 6 a.m. firefighters asleep in Caddo District 1 Fire Station, located in the 7800 block of Old Mooringsport Rd. were awaken to the smell of smoke coming from the station.

Fire investigators say an electrical shortage may have sparked leaking fuel from a brush fire truck that was being housed in the back of the station.

Residents say they heard an explosion, saw flames and smoke, and called 911.

The fire quickly spread to Fire District 1's headquarters. The firefighters inside detected smoke coming from the bathroom area and fled to safety. No one was hurt.

Crews have put the fire out and officials say the building is a total loss.

©2010 KSLA-TV. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.