UPDATE: "Hot spots" re ignite house fire

By Carolyn Roy – bio|email|Twitter

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) – A fire that damaged a Shreveport home late Saturday night flared up again early Sunday morning.  Firefighters were first called to the home in the 2900 block of Quinton Avenue at 9:35 p.m., and a back bedroom and part of the kitchen on fire as well as the attic space above the bedroom.   SFD Chief Scott Wolverton says that fire was under control by 9:51 p.m. , but flared up again around 3:30 a.m.  "Units stayed there about three hours making sure they got all the hot spots out this time. The area of the fire was an add-on to the home which sometimes makes it more difficult to get all area where fire extends due to increased void spaces.," Chief Wolverton tells KSLA News 12.

A woman and her three year old child were inside the home at the time, but both escaped unharmed. 
Chief Wolverton says, "The mother stated she had lit a candle in the bedroom, left momentarily, then returned and found the curtains on fire in the bedroom.  An investigator was on scene to confirm this cause of the fire."  The home suffered heavy fire damage to the involved bedroom and kitchen area, as well as heavy smoke damage throughout.

Chief Wolverton cites U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) statistics that show candles caused an average of 17,200 structure fires a year in U.S. homes since 2003, resulting in 200 civilian deaths, 1,540 civilian injuries, and $200 million in estimated direct property damage.  (Homes include one and two-family dwellings, apartments and manufactured housing.)

The Quinton Street fire appears to be right in line with the NFPA statistics on candle fires: 

•        The majority of candle fires result from human error and negligence.

•        Over half (55%) of home candle fires start because the candle is too

close to some combustible material.

•        More candle fires (38%) begin in the bedroom than in any other room.

©2010 KSLA-TV. All rights reserved.