No natural gas leak; just odor

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA)- KSLA News 12 has received several calls from concerned citizens about the smell of natural gas near the Highland area.

We were also able to smell the odor here at KSLA News 12 on Fairfield Avenue.

Chief Scott Wolverton with the Shreveport Fire Department says that the odor that everyone is smelling is mercaptan. It's a chemical odor that they add to natural gas to give it a smell.

There is no natural gas leak.

We're told that a groundskeeper at the CenterPoint Energy property in the 2400 block of Levy Street was mowing and officials that he hit the mercaptan container and caused it to leak.

Shreveport Fire Department responded to the call.