New information on police-involved shooting

By Jeff Ferrell – bio|email

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) – There's new information about the teenager accused in a high speed chase before getting shot by Shreveport Police.  And there's also new information about the officer who pulled the trigger.

The suspect, identified as 19-year old Kory Gay has been recovering at LSU Hospital and was listed in fair condition after getting hit in the arm at the end of that dramatic high-speed chase late Thursday (7/8/10) afternoon.  It's not clear yet exactly when Gay will be released into police custody.  But we're told it will happen soon.

Authorities tell KSLA News 12 that Gay has made a serious of bad decisions, the most recent of which began June 29th when Gay walked off his work-release job at a manufacturing plant in Ouachita Parish.

Investigators say Gay then later stole a black Chevy Malibu.  That's the very same car that officers, days later tried to stop in south Shreveport on Thursday.  "He observed the officers prior to them ever activating any kind of emergency lights or sirens and had begun to flee at that point from the officers and then they got in behind him and attempted to stop him," explained Sgt. Bill Goodin.

The chase all came to an end on the interchange between Interstate-49 and Interstate 20 in west Shreveport when Gay allegedly rammed the police car driven by 3-year veteran Chase Crow.  Police say Crow fired at the car, hitting Gay once in the arm.  Gay then reportedly jumped out of his moving car, which rolled away and police captured him on the overpass.

Police have not said yet what charge Gay could face related to the ramming of a police car.  "We've seen charges like attempted first degree murder or aggravated criminal property damage, things of that nature.  So, that's just, I'm sure some of the options that our investigators are looking at now," added Goodin.

Officer Crow will remain on paid leave until the investigation wraps-up into the shooting of Kory Gay is completed as acting chief Willie Shaw explained on the scene that night.  "The officers only react to what the suspects do.  And you're right he (Gay) did endanger lives, just by those actions."

Gay had been serving time in work release because of a parole violation.  That involved a conviction for possession of stolen things.  He had just 9-months remaining before becoming a free man.  Now, that's all changed.

©2010 KSLA-TV. All rights reserved.