9 Jesuit priests ‘credibly accused’ of child sex abuse have ties to Shreveport

9 Jesuit priests credibly accused

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - Leaders of the Jesuits have released a list of priests and members, including nine previously assigned to work in Shreveport, who they say have been ‘credibly accused’ of sexual abuse.

The list, released Friday by the Jesuits’ U.S. Central Southern Province, details 42 men who the church says fall into one of three categories:

  • Jesuits of this province against whom one or more credible claims of sexual abuse of a minor or a vulnerable adult have been made; 
  • Jesuits from other provinces against whom there are credible claims resulting from their work while assigned to this province; 
  • Jesuits of this province whose names have been published on diocesan websites or the websites of other Jesuit provinces.

“The People of God deserve transparency from the leadership of the Church,” said Ronald A. Mercier, SJ, a leader in the Province. “It is my hope that through the publication of this information, we can work to rebuild trust, always with the well-being of victims in mind.

Nine of the men were assigned to work in Shreveport at one point during their time in ministry. Seven of those were assigned to Jesuit High School, now known as Loyola College Prep.

The men included on the list who had worked in Shreveport are:

  • Thomas J. Naughton, SJ
  • Claude P. Boudreaux, SJ
  • Charles G. Coyle, SJ
  • Donald Dickerson, SJ
  • Francis M. Landwermeyer, SJ
  • Austin N. Park, SJ
  • J. Donald Pearce, SJ
  • Claude L. Ory, SJ
  • Charles Bartles, SJ

It is unclear at this time when the priests worked in Shreveport or whether the alleged abuse occurred during their tenure here.

“If there are any credible allegation, the Diocese of Shreveport will be notified of those names with the release of names from the Diocese of Alexandria,” said the Diocese in a statement.

All but one of these men are deceased, but church records show that while the alleged abuse took place in the period of the 1960s to the 1980s, they remained in ministry, in most cases, until the early 2000s.

“On behalf of the Jesuits of the USA Central and Southern Province, I apologize to the victims for the pain caused by Jesuits in the past,” Mercier said.

The Jesuits say inclusion on the list does not imply that the allegations are true and correct or that the accused individual has been found guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims.

Copyright 2018 KSLA. All rights reserved.