SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - Tuesday was last day to register by mail or in person to vote in Louisiana’s elections Nov. 6.
Caddo Registrar of Voters Ernie Roberson said voter registration has been steady.
That adds up to an increase in the number of people on the voting rolls for the Nov. 6 elections.
“Since August, we’ve netted right at 500 new voters in Caddo,” Roberson said.
While an increase in registration can be an indicator of public interest, he said, actual voter turnout on election day is outside his purview.
“That’s going to be a function of campaigns and candidates and the message they have and how much emotional involvement people get with the campaigns.”
But Roberson said he can glean what turnout might be based on previous midterm elections.
“If it runs true to course, it’s going to be somewhere maybe a low of 40 percent turnout or maybe up to 45. But that would be about normal.”
The Shreveport mayoral race, with its eight candidates, has generated lots of voter interest, as have City Council and Caddo School Board races, not to mention congressman for Louisiana’s 4th Congressional District and the special statewide election for secretary of state.
“There’s gonna be a lot to vote for. And it just depends on how involved people get,” Roberson said.
His biggest concerns boil down to the basics for voters:
- Are you registered?
- And where do you vote?
He urges voters to have those answers before Election Day comes around.
- Oct. 23-27 and Oct. 29-30: Early voting for the Nov. 6 elections. (In Caddo Parish, that will run from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day in the voter registrar’s office at 525 Marshall St. in downtown Shreveport.)
- Nov. 2: Last day for those other than military and overseas to request a mail ballot from your registrar of voters.
- Nov. 5: Deadline for registrar of voters to receive completed mail ballots from those other than military and overseas.
- Nov. 7: Last day for voter registration in person or by mail for the Dec. 8 elections.
- Nov. 17: Last day for voter registration online via Geaux Vote for the Dec. 8 elections.
- Nov. 24 and Nov. 26-Dec. 1: Early voting for the Dec. 8 elections.
- Dec. 4: Last day for those other than military and overseas to request a mail ballot from your registrar of voters for the Dec. 8 elections.
- Nov. 7: Deadline for registrar of voters to receive completed mail ballots from those other than military and overseas for the Dec. 8 elections.